Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Essay #1: Ubiquitous Game Critique

Due Monday March 5, your first assignment is a 2-3 page (double-spaced) critique of a ubiquitous game. You can write about any ubiquitous game that you've played this semester, or about the ubiquitous mini-game you recently designed.

If you haven't played any good ubiquitous games lately, and you're a big procrastinaor, sign up for Cruel 2 B Kind San Francisco on Friday March 2, 5:30 PM. (I'll be live puppet mastering the game!)

You should choose one or two readings from the semster so far that help you make your critique, or explain your design. Quote the readings to help make your argument.

I'm happy to look at your topic or a draft before the paper is due, if you'd like some early feedback. In the meantime, feel free to post your topic here to get feedback or to inspire others!

Sample topics:

In this essay, I first summarize computer scientist Rich Gold’s vision for an “enchanted village” of ubiquitous computers. I then analyze whether or not the ubiquitous game Sweet Cheat Gone successfully turned San Francisco into an enchanted village for its players.

In this essay, I explore how Mark Weiser’s three characteristics for ubiquitous computing – ‘invisible’, ‘calm’ and ‘connected’ – could be used to make play more ubiquitous in urban environments. I will use these characteristics to explain the design of my ubiquitous mini-game for San Francisco, While You Wait.

In this essay, I explain the Institute for the Future’s five criteria for context-aware gaming. I use these criteria to critique the design of the current Heroes ubiquitous game, www.primatechpaper.com.

No comments: